Certification in Ethical Hacking (certified ethical hacker certification) is offered and awarded by the International Council of Electronic Commerce Consultants (EC-Council). Ethical hackers can legally identify loopholes in organizations’ computer security systems to prevent them from being discovered and exploited by malicious hackers.
CEH certification in cyber security helps beginners to assess and prevent cyber-attacks. Security professionals seeking early career opportunities must have certified ethical hacker training (CEH training) to demonstrate that they can identify vulnerabilities in target systems using techniques usually associated with hackers.
This article focuses skills needed to get CEH certification, its eligibility, costs etc. Keep reading to know more about certification CEH.
Who is a Certified Ethical Hacker?
Ethical hackers are also known as “white hat hackers” and legally hack systems. They work to help improve an organization’s security plans.
By taking the CEH training, one can get certified in ethical hacking, making the person more reliable. You can expect as a course holder to be proficient with the tools malicious hackers utilize to search for weaknesses and vulnerabilities in computer systems.
Skills needed to become an ethical hacker
To become a certified ethical hacker, you must have skills like
- Reverse engineering
- Cryptography and
- Problem-solving skills.
Eligibility for CEH certification
An individual who has worked in information security or a related field for at least two years or has completed EC-Council’s CEH training course is eligible to sit for the exam.
You must pay a non-refundable application fee and submit the eligibility application form. After the approval of your application form, you can take the exam.
In addition, you must be above 18 years of age to take the exam.
Levels of CEH examination
The CEH certification examination is divided into two different levels.
- The first level consists of a multiple choice exam covering a broad area of hacking knowledge and meeting specific experience or training requirements. It has 125 questions and is for 4 Hours.
- The second level is not mandatory. It all depends upon your choices. This exam level is for those who wish to move beyond the first level and take the CEH Practical exam. It comprises penetration testing on simulated systems. If you pass this level, you will become a CEH Master. It consists of 20 challenges and lasts for 6 hours.
Cost of CEH certification
CEH certification costs depend on your plan to prepare for the official exam. One can segregate the fee into training course fees, application fees, examination fees, and renewal fees.
- The training course can range from free to ₹3,26,400.
- Some might include the application fee in the training fee. But, usually, it is ₹8,160.
- You must purchase an exam voucher for a CEH certification exam. The exam fee can range from ₹85,680 to ₹91,312.
- To become CEH certified, you must join the EC-Council for ₹6530 annually. You need to renew your certification after three years.
Topics under CEH Examination
The four-hour-long level one examination will cover the following topics-
- Information security and ethical hacking
- Cloud computing
- System hacking phases and attack techniques
- Application hacking
- Wireless hacking
- Reconnaissance techniques
- Network and perimeter hacking
- The mobile platform, IoT, and OT hacking
The six-hour long level two examination will cover the following topics-
- Port scanning tools
- Detection of vulnerability
- System attacks like DoS, DDoS, SQL injection, and wireless threats.
- Methodology of SQL injection
- Evasion techniques
- Web application security tools
- SQL injection detection tools
Types of jobs you can get after a CEH certification.
The CEH certification can help you get the following jobs:-
- Ethical Hacker
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer Forensics Investigator
- Network Security Engineer (NSE)
- Vulnerability Analyst
- Junior Penetration Tester
- Data Security Analyst/ specialists
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- Information Security Auditor
To conclude, it can be said that earning a certification in CEH will prove to be a fruitful investment in the long run as it opens the door to many rewarding careers, as mentioned above. Ethical hacking will grow in the coming years as developing industries are shifting toward a digital economy. This article has covered the significant aspects related to CEH certification, like who is a certified ethical hacker and what skills are needed to be one. This article has also covered topics like the CEH exam eligibility, exam cost, exam levels and syllabus.